The Recognized Research Group (GIR) Separation Techniques and Applied Analysis (TESEA) of the University of Valladolid (UVA), in collaboration with the Marchamalo Regional Beekeeping Center.
It is probably one of the most complete foods, since it contains the 22 essential amino acids, now it has also been discovered that bee pollen contains resveratrol.
Due to the response of an injury or when they are under attack by pathogens , such as bacteria or fungi.
Similarly, food sources of resveratrol include grapes, blueberries, raspberries, peanuts, etc.
Likewise, there is a great interest in resveratrol due to its potential beneficial effects for health, since it is an antioxidant, anticancer and has the potential to control arteriosclerosis, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases.
Likewise, pollen is also a natural food «treasure» due to the various nutritional substances that make it up and it is considered «absolutely complete», and it can be consumed in multiple ways, highlighting the recent consumption in gourmet cuisine.
One of the researchers who has participated in the study as a result says that resveratrol is present in various plants whose pollen can potentially be transported by bees.
Could Bee Pollen Also Have Resveratrol?
«In particular, we analysed samples of six different commercial bee pollens found in any supermarket, and we found trans-resveratrol residues in five of them and cis-piceid in one»GIR Research Group
Although the amount of trans-resveratrol varied depending on the sample, in some pollens the content was close to milligram per kilogram, a «relatively high» figure.
The method used is based on liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry capable of identifying the four compounds in less than 35 minutes.
Resveratrol has two isomers (cis and trans), which are compounds with the same molecular formula, but which have different chemical structures, and consequently, different properties.
Of the two isomers, it is trans-resveratrol that has been found in commercial bee pollen and the one with the highest biological activity.
Also, due to the effect of degradation processes, resveratrol can be transformed into other compounds called piceids, cis and trans, respectively.
Analyzing pollen compounds
The method is one of the most relevant aspects of the work, since no method had been published to analyze these compounds in pollen before, which allows the four compounds to be quantified efficiently and easily.
«Meanwhile, in the study, no trans-piceid residues were found in any of the commercial samples analyzed, and we only found cis-piceid in a single sample at a low concentration.
However, these compounds have a lower biological activity than trans-resveratrol, therefore. will continue to be investigated «
- 1 kg has 3 times more protein than the same amount of beef
- It is also the only known nutrient for the prostate.
- A study conducted in 1946 showed that most of the long-lived over 100 years were beekeepers who consumed pollen daily.
- Almost all essential vitamins and amino acids are found
- One kilo of bee bread occupies 7000 cells of a honeycomb.
- Bee bread has triple nutritional value and triple antibiotic action than pollen.
- In each flight, a bee carries up to 15 mg to the hive. of pollen in 2 balls.
You may also be interested in reading: The beauty of plant pollen
More to tell you:
- To collect 1 kg. of pollen, a bee must make more than 60,000 flights.
- The flowers produce a large amount of pollen. The apple blossom contains about 100,000 grains, and a hazelnut catkin can have more than 4 million.
- Only known way of taking advantage of the pollen of the flowers, is by means of the honey bee; Therefore, it has not yet been collected in any other way.
- The bees, by collecting pollen, ensure the pollination of more than 70% of the flowers and the ripening of fruits and seeds.
- Finally, 75% of the world’s food depends on the pollinating activity of the honey bee.